View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlouzan View Post
I would also be very interested in this feature. Some other companies (for instance AWS with 1Password) have enabled Dropbox compatibility with their products, both iPhone and MacOSX. They face the same synchronization problems as OmniFocus when dealing with multiple parallel modifications of the DB, but somehow they managed to solve them using the Dropbox APIs, as far as I know.
1Password syncing is a much easier problem for the software engineers than syncing OF databases. With OF they have to deal with hierarchical structure, repeating items, and changing status (start dates, due dates). 1Password just has to deal with flat lists. The syncing capabilities and reliability provided by OF are an engineering marvel.

That said, I love Dropbox and appreciate that 1Password syncs using it now. The Omnicians, having solved the syncing problem in general, could probably port that solution to support Dropbox without too much trouble. On the other hand, there are occasional complaints on the forums that OF already has too many syncing options—tyranny of choice and all that.

Curt