View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Pocket Informant looks set to be the first non-Omni client for OF on the desktop although whether that ability will be included in their yet-to-be released Android version remains to be seen.

I've always thought it weird that Omni doesn't appear to have any interest in developing OF for other platforms, as even Apple occasionally bites that bullet (QuickTime, iTunes, etc.).
Apple gets substantial extra sales from reaching over the fence, at little marginal cost, relatively speaking, and while they may still sell more iPods to Windows users, doing so isn't changing the character of the company, except for the broad shift toward iOS devices.

Omni, on the other hand, would have a lot of work to do to replace the Cocoa API and all the UI frameworks and so on that Apple supplies. And to what end? They have more than enough projects for the existing customer base and current areas of expertise to keep them busy for years to come. Handing it off to an Indian port shop, as I'm told is often done with hit games, doesn't seem to mesh with their style, and I've never noticed a "let's grow as fast as possible" vibe from them, have you? More like grow at a moderate pace where we can keep our good thing going just the way we like it. Having spent my career at a company that rapidly went from 20+ employees to 40,000+ I really appreciate that sentiment. Maybe not so many Ferraris in the Omni parking lot, but more fun in the office.