Thread: Web Interface
View Single Post
Dansays -

Thanks for providing that quote. I've not seen anything from Apple that definitively says what version's on the phone, but notice that the text you referenced doesn't actually say, either.

"The first step in developing a web application for iPhone is to ensure it is fully compatible with Safari [no version number here]. Safari 3 Public Beta, [which is the only version that is] now available for Mac and Windows, provides you with the ideal environment for Safari on iPhone compatibility testing."

From the bracketed comments I inserted, it seems to me to be *just* vague enough.

My experience browsing pages on iPhone suggest it renders with the 2.x engine, not 3.x (for instance, try loading http://11mystics.com/demos/tabouli/ in iPhone, Safari 2, and Safari 3 -- the first two load it correctly; only Safari 3 does not). If Omni's goal is to write it for iPhone, Safari 2 is a better development check. Safari 3 is listed on Apple's site for developers because it's available for Windows, too.

PLEASE understand that I'm not trying to pick a point. I'm trying to help clarify how iPhone works, to see if the great folks at Omni can be more successful in pinning down the oddities of getting the web interface up and running for iPhone.

Thanks!