View Single Post
If you have projects that all have similar steps, then the templates applescript can really streamline a lot of stuff.

Beyond that, I would agree with the stuff said above, you get to decide how to use OF. It doesn't use you.

Personally, I do like to dump lots of things in there. I have templates set up for projects that recur a lot for me, like opening a client file. So when I need to start a new client project, I can build it really quickly and with the confidence that I'm not forgetting a step (e.g., get client contact info).

I do err on the side of more steps than less steps, especially when I'm building a template. I'd rather include stuff I can delete later, than forget stuff I've lost in my muddled mind.

From there, I sometimes do my actual operational work mostly outside of OF. OF is my repository. Something like Trello, Wunderlist, or a text list is sometimes a better tool for putting my head down and working on stuff.

I've been trying to use that three goals method, where in the morning you try to define three tasks that you plan to get done that day. That's a really good way of getting focus. So I put those three things on my list or in Trello and then I close OF. But in closing it, I know that it will be there with my stuff in it, when I need it next. So if I finish up my goals for today, I can always go back and grab some more.

However you do it, whether by creating a view in OF, or by pulling a few tasks out and tracking them elsewhere, the goal of putting things into OF is to get them out of your head, so you can clear it out. From there, you can put back the 2-3 you really need to do now, and work on those from a place of improved clarity and focus.

I've only done a little bit of meditation. But I will say this: It doesn't seem like it's doing anything in the moment. But it seems like 10 minutes after I do it, I often find that all of a sudden I've set to work and I'm getting something done.

I didn't think my mind was cluttered when I started the mediation. But there's something about trying to empty it out that does end up having a positive effect on focus.

Ideally, OF is the same way. It helps you to get to the goal of just a short list of tasks that are actionable right now and if it's working correctly, should encourage you to ignore everything else.

Until you start trying to start emptying things out of your head, it's often very hard to see just how much mental clutter overhead you have going on in there.