View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinberg View Post
I didn't read through all (presently) 27 pages of this thread [...]

I think what actually stings more than the price, though, is that there's no "loyalty" reward for OF. I've been an OF user since the pre-beta days, and bought the ipod edition too as soon as it was available. I don't see why, if the price has to be $40 for the ipad version, it couldn't be $10 off if you own the desktop or ipod version, and $20 off if you own both. It would still be a lot, but it would reward loyalty and make longtime users feel more valued.
As was mentioned in the post immediately before yours, Apple does not allow variable pricing of App Store apps, and does not identify the purchasers to the vendor. Omni could provide a discount on purchases through its own store, but that would only help those who bought the iOS version first. Expecting them to mail out discount checks to thousands of customers seems a bit unrealistic, doesn't it? Not sure how much of a discount would be left if they deducted the cost of processing!

When you buy an Omni product soon after its initial release, you are essentially buying a software annuity. Major releases are years apart, and they deliver bug fixes and new features pretty much right until the next major version ships. Your $40 is going to be paying for development of OF for iPad for a long time. That's what makes this long-term customer feel valued—the vendor keeps improving the software and doesn't ask for a handout each time! If you don't see the value in the proposition, you can get a refund if you're within 30 days of purchase: http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/30_day_guarantee/

What sort of discount did you get from Apple on the iPad for your loyalty? :-)