View Single Post
I have quite a few daily actions, like "rotate the backup tapes" and "give the kids their vitamins". Although those are almost all routine "habit" items, I still need to make sure they get done daily and so use those actions like a checklist to make sure I've gotten everything done.

Same goes for weekly actions; I want a reminder to clean the gutters. Even if that usually means that sometime Saturday afternoon I'll check it off my list because I already did it that morning, unprompted, I still need to make sure it gets done.

This is having three bad side effects, though:
  1. My forecast view is cluttered with daily routine stuff that obscures my less-routine actions.
  2. I've spent so much time in the forecast that I've gotten in the habit of "living" there instead of switching among contexts throughout the day.
  3. My iPhone slows with a few hundred checked-off actions before I archive them each month.

I don't want come to depend on OmniFocus for every little thing ("eat lunch", "brush teeth", etc.). But for me, not having these other daily things written down somewhere is very non-GTD because I spend too much time wondering if I've done everything I'm supposed to do.

What's a good way to deal with this? If need be, I'd move this daily clutter into a separate, dedicated app. I tried "The Habit Factor" to these ends but it has its own issues: if you delete a "goal", you can't ever re-add one with the same name; it doesn't support multitasking.