View Single Post
@Diver T

I'm just the opposite - I absolutely LOVE having everything in one place. There are only a handful of lists that are outside of OF: movies are an IMDb watch list, physical items to buy "someday/maybe" are an Amazon wish list, favorite quotes are a Wordpress database that feeds a personal "quote of the day" rss...but everything else is in OF. That includes current projects, medium-term goals (3-5 years), long-term goals (10+ years), grocery list, packing checklist, periodic home/car maintenance tasks, and on and on and on.

I keep the data I see a manageable size by using perspectives (15+ at last count) and AppleScripts. Approximately half of the perspectives are only ever accessed during reviews (weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annually). My Next Actions list I usually only review once per day to flag the priorities for today (or tomorrow) and those flagged items (along with any dues) are sent to a Reminders.app list (completely automated via launchd) simply because the integration with Notification Center is superior to OF's integration.

The stuff "below the surface" doesn't bother me because it's ALL in my review checklist; everything in OF gets reviewed at *some* specific interval. It took a little trial and error to figure out what that frequency was for each category of items but now I don't even think about it until it's time to think about it. If the "below the surface" items are making you feel uncomfortable I'd guess it's because you're not completely "Clear" and/or "Current" (using GTD terminology) on those projects.

All that being said, if you avoid using a system because it's not comfortable to use then, yeah, change it up. :-)