View Single Post
Thanks for the reply. I think I tried this at one point, but it didn't work quite right...

Here is a specific example...I have a sequence called "pay bills" and each child item has a due date. I want to pay bills on Fridays, but not every repeating bill is due on Friday. I want bills to be in their own group and I also want them placed in my financial checklist after I reconcile my checking account and process a few other financial tasks. Here is my basic list

Project: Update Finances
-reconcile accounts (prefer to do this monthly, but do it weekly now)
--reconcile checkbook (prefer to do this monthly, but do it weekly now)
--reconcile paypal (prefer to do this monthly, but do it weekly now)
- transfer funds
-pay bills (weekly)
--pay credit card (monthly)
--pay contractors (weekly)

The sequencing of my list works out perfectly but I can't seem to have a top level task with a due date of Friday and a child that isn't due until sometime in the future. It's kind of an all or nothing deal unless I'm missing something.

My workaround is just to check it off each time, but this kind of gets confusing because I have to go back and check to see if I actually did pay it already for this month if I don't remember doing it previously.

I tried testing a scenario of adding a start date to the credit card bill so it wouldn't show up on today's date (a Friday). I set it to start April 1 with a due date of April 25. That removes it from my active list for today...

Now when I check everything off and look at the repeating future project that was created, that credit card bill is also shifting by a week. It now starts on 4/8 and is due 5/2. So in theory, I would never see it. Each time the project repeats, the future start/due dates also shift - so that doesn't work.

I suppose I can keep a separate list of "monthly" items, but then my checklist won't be in order. I suppose I could also insert a pseudo task that says "check monthly bills list" (with a perspective link) in my main financial checklist to keep the order, but that seems a bit kludgy and complicated just to track a couple of monthly tasks.