View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
So far the best suggesting is to use flagging at the beginning of a day, and then filtering on flag, to create a daily list.
That's one of the tricks I use and it's been working very well for me.

I've tried explicit prioritization in other apps in the past and found that it was more trouble than it was worth. It became a pain trying to classify hundreds of items relative to one another on a 5-point scale. As new items came in, my priorities, and even the meaning of the scale itself, kept shifting. So I was continually fiddling with keeping my priorities straight - a huge waste of time.

I much prefer the OmniFocus (i.e. GTD) approach of implicit priorities. It's more flexible and has been much more efficient.

As yucca and Robejazz mentioned earlier, the key is in carefully defining and assigning your contexts. It took me several tries to get mine right, and I'm still fine-tuning my system. I also frequently put projects "On Hold" that I'm not immediately working on. These techniques, along with using a few flags and focusing on folders, allow me to display only a handful of actions in any given context. If any context has more than about a dozen actions, my focus is too broad and I need to narrow in.

With short, focused, action lists, I can quickly scan them and rely entirely on my intuition to determine priority on the spot. The freedom and flexibility of this method really revolutionized the way I work. I love it.