View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case
That preference can't be set inside OmniWeb itself, it's a hidden preference that you can only set by directly modifying OmniWeb's preferences. (I usually do this using "defaults write" in a Terminal window.) If you haven't set the preference, then it defaults to No.
When I read Ken's first posting about the "WorkspacesLoadFromCache" preference, I went looking in the public preferences. In the History panel, I found "Validate cached content" set to "Automatically." I gather from the Help that this means OmniWeb should be honoring a <meta name="Pragma" content="no-cache"> tag. (That doesn't seem to be the case.)

When I didn't find "WorkspacesLoadFromCache" in Preferences, I assumed I needed to use a Terminal command. I figured out the command syntax by searching my OmniWeb Beta email archive for a message from Scott about another hidden preference:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WorkspacesLoadFromCache -bool FALSE
Before doing the "defaults write," I did a "defaults read" to see the current setting of this preference:
The domain/default pair of (com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5, WorkspacesLoadFromCache) does not exist
I went ahead and did the "defaults write" just for good measure.

I'm still seeing stale content when I open/reopen a workspace. For example, my Omni Forums workspace has a single window with several tabs, each with the directory of a forum. These tabs always show the previous content when I reopen the workspace. I have to do a Refresh to see the current directory.

At this point, I'm puzzled about when OmniWeb is supposed to be using its cache and when it's refetching content from the Web server. For example, what's the interaction between the public history cache preference and hidden workspace cache preference?

-- Ward