View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
OmniPlan doesn't do everything it could do or will do, but we feel its essential core functionality is in place, letting people collaboratively edit and update project plans. (Not everyone needs compatibility with Microsoft Project, or to be able to send plans to people who don't have OmniPlan. You can share plans live using the device, either on its screen or by projecting to a large screen.)
Ken, I can't believe you said this! I'm not sure if it's arrogance or ignorance, so until I know for sure ill assume the latter and try to correct you.

How many serious project managers (your declared target market), do you know who work in an environment where they either don't need to share their plans at all, or if they do, only need to share them with Omniplan users?

If you happen to work for a corporation which had adopted Omniplan exclusively (and by implication have also adopted Macs exclusively; unheard of in my industry), AND only ever have to share internally, then your statement will apply, but I'd suggest you'll struggle to find many people in that situation, and will bet that the moment you find a PM who needs to share outside his own organisation, which I'd think would be 99.9% of all PM's, there'll be not one who can manage properly without pdf, and almost as few who can get away with not sending/receiving MS Project files.

Sharing on screen is no solution; that's not sharing, it's presenting, which is a much smaller need. The fact that you mention it at all makes it look as if you are on the defensive regarding this issue.

Sharing via Omniplan for Mac is no solution; if I'm able to get to my Mac to share (i.e read, edit or create files useable by my clients), why would I need Omniplan on my iPad?

That's why I think import/export is core functionality that it was a mistake to release without. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew it was coming, but you refuse to say it is (I don't need to know when), and worse still, suggest in your FAQs that I may have to buy the app again if you do add it, as undoubtedly you'll concider it a major new feature.

Saying "if it doesn't do what you need, don't buy it" is logical enough in itself, and is exactly what I'm doing, but sidesteps your responsibility to deliver software that satisfies the core needs of your target market. It's the bit that smacks of arrogance, as it can be read as "you may be right, and the majority of our target market may agree with you (if we bothered to ask), but we're doing OK without you thanks.". Better to say "yes, we know it's essential, and it'll come, but we misinterpreted the needs of the market this time; sorry".

Last edited by MacBerry; 2012-06-11 at 06:00 PM..