View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Mark,

no offense intended, but perhaps your disagreement with the design choices is an indication that you're trying to force a square peg into a round hole, and would be happier with an application that didn't require so many changes to fit your needs. I recently fired up my old copy of iGTD (which features the same planning/context split), and it strikes me that it looks a lot like what you seem to be asking for (though without iPhone support, which I'm sure would be a sticking point). It also looks incredibly cluttered to me, and I don't miss it at all!
Yes you're right - iPhone support is key. It's only because of that that I'm here in the first place!

But no, I don't think it's the wrong app. It does most of what I need. My point isn't that it doesn't suit me specifically, but that it's confusing to the wider audience that Omni (pressumably) need, and will get as a result of the iPhone version. Just take a look at many of the posts on these forums for an indication of that: very very many are along the lines of "why can't I do or see xyz when in such and such a mode"

There is no reason at all to compromise the separation of context and planning views, but there is a need to make both much more flexible. I've suggested one approach in another thread, but it doesn't have to be done that way so long as it is done.

Either way, there is a definite and urgent need to explain the point of the two modes, and the restrictions each places on the user. As it stands, I'm doing things in context view that should probably be done in planning, and vice-versa, just because I can't see the data I need to see in the "correct" mode. There are also things that I'd like to do in a combination of the two modes (e.g., when reviewing, I may want to change either context or project, so need both clearly in view in a consistent manner).

So, again, someone please explain the two modes, because as I've said already, I'm more than willing to accept that I've just not understood yet.

Last edited by MacBerry; 2008-09-08 at 02:53 AM..