Thread: Tickler?
View Single Post
I've never implemented the GTD tickler the way it is described in the book (with 43 physical folders), but I have been employing the idea for tasks only when I was using kGTD. The way I did that was by using start dates. If I wanted to be tickled about a task in the future, I would assign a start date for it. For something that I wanted to be reminded of in a few months, I would set the start date for the first of the month. In kGTD, it was easy to turn a task into a subproject (ie "Transfer investment accounts to eTrade"), and in OmniFocus, it seems fairly straightforward as well.

As for events, I created a context called "Remind". I would prefer to use iCal for events that were for sure taking place, and my Remind context to list events that I might be interested in attending. Entries in this list (which are not "tasks" per se) would be given appropriate start dates (ie few days to a few weeks beforehand). In retrospect, I'm certain that calling it something more descriptive than Remind might be better, but I digress.

As an aside, I'm uncertain whether my start date workflow will work right now since I'm having difficulty with dates being recognized properly in OmniFocus. Not sure if it has to do with the fact that I'm in Canada (I remember there being a Canada-related date issue earlier). I Sent Feedback about this to Omni, and I'm certain that the ninjas are tackling this as you read this, but if anyone else is having any date issues, perhaps we should start another thread.