View Single Post
Thought I would chime in here.

Devastat started a short synopsis within the Things forum as well about OmniFocus (hello Devastat!). So, for the sake of my own interest, I tried out OF over the weekend. Here's my 2c (copied over from the Things forum) ...

Things is a task management application with a focus on tasks as actions to be scheduled for time, filed in projects or areas, and tagged for filtering on various points of relevance. Its strongest features(*) are its consistent and generally intuitive user-interface; ease of entering, filing, filtering, and tagging actions, projects, or areas; flexibility to tag actions in various ways; and self-contained approaches to presenting views of the data base of actions.

OmniFocus is a task management application with a focus on projects that have actions to be set in context, sequenced in flow, scheduled for time, marked for duration, and flagged for importance. Its strongest features(*) are the ability to schedule sets of tasks for parallel, sequence, or one-step processing and the flexibility for how to store and view the data base of actions.

(*) - out of the box ... YMMV as you tweak the application

As a note in context of this thread, I have found that NOT using a diligent "Things" approach (that has Today, Next, .... lists) currently works better for me. I just keep a Next perspective. The ability to schedule start and due dates on actions, as well as the ability to set those actions to be sequential, parallel, or one-step for processing, has more than adequately pared down on what actions appear in this Next list, so that I have no real need to further sub-group actions explicitly in to a "Today" type list.