View Single Post
I just checked and it turns out that I bought OmniFocus for iPhone back in 2008, for £12, back when it was just "OmniFocus". I won't be getting this upgrade.

That statement, about wanting to pay for perceived value? It cuts both ways. I realised I've not used very much in the past few years, certainly not enough to warrant buying it again. I've mainly used it purely when I don't have access to my desktop or ipad and want to jot something down. These days I just use notes to make notes, and then sort them later.

Had the upgrade cost been nominal, I would have bought it without hesitation. Perhaps the changes to the interface would be enough to convert me back to actually using it on a regular basis.

As it is, I see the whole Omnifocus product line as really just one system (I am even tempted to think of it as just Omni Sync Server) that I pay for convenience (or platform taxes, if you will). I've spread the cost of each of these over several years, which I've been perfectly happy to do. But now I'm faced with a decision: do I inevitably buy the whole suite again in a short period at a rather hefty expense, or do I buy it piecemeal, maybe just the Mac version for example, and thus miss out on the best feature: having my data synced across my devices?

I suspect instead what will now happen is I'll start to gravitate towards the third option: considering alternatives. Because OmniFocus has a LOT of features. Do I really need them all, I wonder. Maybe I can get by with just a hierarchical structure of notes. Maybe the free, web/desktop/iphone/ipad-based notes.app and reminders.app will actually be "good enough".

I can live without OF2 for iPhone, really I can. I wouldn't have considered any of this an issue if you hadn't completely and suddenly pulled the plug on version 1. What happens then next time I restore my iPhone from iCloud? What happens when version 7.x of iOS completely breaks it, and I'm held hostage to just buying version 2. Maybe none of these things will happen, but there's a bitter taste in my mouth.

Right now, it seems like I have until you kill OF for iPad to decide what my options with this product are.