View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post
It seems to me that for an application that claims to model itself after GTD, this is a very high-priority issue. I mean, what is GTD without contextual lists? The decision to drop the web interface just stunned me.
The web interface was dropped because it didn't actually work for the majority of OmniFocus users: it wouldn't work if your computer was asleep (most workstations and laptops are set to go to sleep), or behind a firewall (most DSL and cable modems have a built-in firewall), or if you were trying to access it from an airplane (no web server anywhere will work for that case). For some people it was sufficient, but we needed to find a solution that would work for everyone.

Instead, we've replaced it with two other things which everyone everywhere should be able to take advantage of: ubiquitous capture through email (if you can access the web, you can send email—and you can also send email when you're offline), and ubiquitous action lists through really good printing support. (Paper works everywhere, even on an airplane.)

I hope this helps to explain why we made the decisions we did for 1.0. We'd still love a richer phone-based client in the future, and we're looking forward to the iPhone SDK which is coming in February—but sometimes the simplest low-tech solutions are actually the most effective.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2007-11-16 at 03:03 PM..