View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Hopefully, you can enlightened me on this. How is (A) different from what we have today (1.75)? Even in the current version, if you assign a default context, you would be presented with the situation you say you don't want.
The difference is that in 1.8, my No Context list is polluted unnecessarily if I don't assign a default context, or all my items get a default context that may not match reality and lead to open loops.

Quote:
For (2), yes, you would not find this is the missing context, but if you assign a context such as "review" to the project or groups, then you would find the "missing" contexts items in the Review context because you didn't reassign context to the items when you created them. You would just have to find it at a different place.
And if I did want to use an *actual* default context for some reason? Then I have to track down the item with the "wrong" default context, which should have a different default context, leading to the "loss" of items by placing them in the wrong context.

Quote:
I believe if people get used to the new work flow, I don't think it would matter to them that much, but YMMV.
I think it depends on how you use OF, Contexts, Projects and so on. For some, this is clearly a welcome change, because they previously had to deal with lost actions, open loops or ugly workarounds.

For others, this is a terrible change, because it has the potential for losing actions, creating open loops or implementing ugly workarounds.

Can't win for losing.

I don't tend to use default contexts, because I want to chance to review my items with no context and ensure they're properly categorized. It destroys my workflow to put everything into a default "Review" (or whatever) context, because that means items without a context no longer show up on "No Context", they show up in "Review", and I have to look at possibly dozens of projects and actions, mixed together, only some of which are actually actionable.

Hiding the projects, and using Available instead of Remaining may be a workaround. The inaccurate number of items in a context remains an issue, and disturbs my attempts at "mind like water".