Thread: Backup Cleanup
View Single Post
I disagree that this is a simple matter of priority. It's a matter of responsible programming.

As a UNIX Sys Admin one of the banes of my existence is application developers who decide to implement logging or transaction archiving within their apps without any thought given to cleanup and maintenance. When I get paged for their filesystems filling up their first response is always to ask for more space rather than doing a cleanup.

It's incredibly sloppy for the Omni developers to write an unending number of backup files without any cleanup and without even informing the customers what and how to clean up themselves. The cleanup process is something that should have been implemented very early in the product's lifetime virtually in lock-step with the backup process itself.

Implementing new features and functionality based on customer voting and priority is one thing, but some aspects to product development should be near the top of the priority list out of basic necessity and good practices whether people vote for it or not.