View Single Post
This is going to sound stupid, but I plan the things that need planning, and I let everything else develop naturally.

There are some projects that need a meticulously detailed plan before I am willing to start working on them. Like lab experiments, vacations, large home or spare time projects, I need to plan them for them to fully crystalize in my mind. This helps me decide if they're worth doing now, later, or even ever. Planning helps me realize what kind of effort and time I would have to commit to a project, and I like doing this in OF, where I have all my other tasks to make a cohesive background.

So really, every bit of my planning gets done in OF... unless I can't make OF's crippled project dependencies work for what I'm trying to plan - then I go to paper.

When I do write out a meticulous plan for a project, I specifically avoid overplanning things by omitting any task that must be done immediately after its predecessor.

Other than this, I let things develop as they pop into my head. This process can result in fleshing out a project even further, or causing it to need rerouting, but most of it ends up being single tasks or small projects.