View Single Post
Although many have tried to turn OF into a database manager, it is just not a very good one. Of course, that is not its intended purpose. It is an extremely well-designed GTD-based task manager, and when used as such can yield amazing results.

That said, however, as a transitional holding place for data, a place into which you can just dump stuff until you can deal with it later, OF can be of enormous help. For example, I have different OF single-action lists in my system (Ideas, Miscellaneous, etc.). These are nothing more than temporary holding places for items similar to yours, each with an appropriate context (Amazon, Netflix, etc.).

So, let's say that I come across a book that looks interesting to me, or a movie I'd like to watch, I enter it into the appropriate OF single-action list--Miscellaneous in my case--along with its context (Amazon or Netflix), and just leave it there until the next time I'm in either one of those websites. Then, later, when I'm in one of those sites, say on a weekend, I will select their context in OF and quickly enter all that is listed there, checking them off as completed actions as I go along.

As for a permanent database manager, I use DevonThink Pro, but OF helps me with the workflow for that as well. In OF I have DevonThink in my context list, and each database as a sub-context of that. This allows me to quickly list a series of items in an OF list along with their appropriate DT contexts. Then, the next time I'm in one of those databases, I will select its corresponding OF context and transfer over all of my entries.

After some trial and error this system works well for me. Hopefully, I have given you some ideas that you can use for your needs.

Last edited by keone; 2009-02-14 at 10:00 AM..