Thread: 43 folders
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean
The concept of having 43 folders is not about having folders... it's about mailing yourself something in the future.
I understand what it's about. I just haven't seen any faithful implementations of the concept in GTD software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiralOcean
The calendar, or a with the task management software, a due date or appearing date can often function as the 43 folders.
Using a calendar for 43 folders breaks the GTD philosophy. David Allen is very specific that calendars shouldn't be used for reminders, only for "hard" events like a meeting schedule. The point of 43 folders is to keep your calendar clean and keep those "ticklers" out of sight until you can actually act on them.

As for a due date in GTD software, there are two problems with this. First, lots of GTD software doesn't allow you to attach files to an action or event, so you can't mail yourself something, you can only mail yourself short reminders. So it's not the same thing as having 43 folders of "physical" ticklers.

And second, even if you can attach a file to a reminder and give it a "tickle" date, the GTD software I've seen doesn't do a good job of hiding that reminder until it's time to act on it. Having actual 43 folders does this better because you can pull out only today's folder and leave the others in a drawer, out of sight.

Last edited by vocaro; 2007-03-06 at 11:18 PM..