View Single Post
Thank you so much for the thoughtful response. I agree that comprehensive scripting support would be well out of the scope of the app. I do think it would be possible to come up with a way to help order a given list of tasks automatically using some kind of calculated rating.

Let me ask you this: If you have, say, 10 items on your "Today" view, what governs the order in which they are shown, top to bottom? For me, this is a fundamental question.

Obviously, you can flag an item but I am thinking in the absence of any such special handling of an item, there should be an organic sort order that is based on the parameters of that item. Yes, you are right that the way it's implemented in ToodleDo leaves out many real-world considerations but one knows that it's based on the formula I=2+P+S+D so you can understand why items are in their order. Of course, this formula could be made more complex to take into account things such as duration (not presently possible in TD but we are talking theoretically here).

I don't know. Maybe I'm making this more complex that it needs to be but correct me please, I am fully in agreement with the philosophy that OF is a place to dump all your tasks and let the app guide you to their completion. If you have to cherry pick certain items by flags or stars or whatever, then what's the point. I think that a list sorted by the parameters of the task is useful. Stars and flags are necessary to have but should only be used rarely.

Hey while we're on the subject, why not have a feature in OF to automatically suggest a future task to you if you can complete enough of your "today" tasks to free up a time slot. OF could estimate which near future task would fit in your work schedule for "today" and present that task to you. You could either do it or reject it and OF would return it to it's original place.

Are you saying that it is possible to construct a perspective on the iPad without the aid of a Mac?

Thanks again.

Last edited by GeorgeV; 2011-06-19 at 09:21 PM..