View Single Post
Looking in iCal or a CalDAV server to figure out when a staff resource (or even equipment) is free or busy is something we've talked about. I'm not convinced it's possible to get "right". I'm just not sure how it would interact with the way real people actually do their scheduling.

When I manage developers, I figure out that I expect them to apply, say, 6 hours of effort every day to tasks I assign them, minus time off. I would hate to have OmniPlan automatically split tasks around dentist appointments, staff meetings, lunch, or scheduled telephone calls. If those items should make it into my calendar and get factored into my Plan, I'd find it pretty distracting.

Of course, the answer is to put those events into a calendar that OmniPlan is _not_ looking at. Which seems like it could work. If you put tasks in your calendar that are already in your Plan, there will be a collision OmniPlan couldn't resolve, and this will be Your Problem. So I think this amounts to affiliating a resource w/ a calendar and keeping the events synched up as exceptional off hours in the work schedule for that resource.

Well, if I've figured out your intent correctly I think that whpalmer has the right idea for a first step... see if this feature can begin life as an AppleScript successfully. It's not my forte, but maybe I can bludgeon together a start when I should really be working on the next great thing.

-Tom