View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidtreo View Post
In complete Agreement...PLEASE do not allow OF to get too non GTD in it's nature as the whole reason I use it - is to get better at implementing GTD in my life! There are PLENTY of other apps and scripts options that will blast you with nags 24/7. While I'm intrigued a little by the idea of building a full calendaring (tickler functionality) app into OF, I just don't think that is the answer... personally...my 2 cents.
Actually, in quick response, there aren't ANY task management systems that blast you with "nags" that (1) do a great job of collecting and organizing like OF does and (2) most importantly, there are currently NO task management systems right now that sync two-way between ical, MobileMe, My iphone, My main computer and my laptop. (If you do any traveling at all or have a lot of meetings on the road, or have anyone but yourself entering in a task, this really becomes important.) I think that is why you are getting a lot of posters like myself who are here using Omni for task management vs. the GTD philosophy alone. I'm not just using OF for just my personal life management, I am using it for my business and some project management as well. And honestly folks, there aren't even project management systems right now that can do this (all of the syncing + reminders) - I've looked at everything, and I mean everything. Even Omni's own Omni Plan doesn't do the syncing. There is a gaping hole in this area on the Mac, and this is coming from a die-hard Mac user since 1990.

If these feature requests were options that simply could be an add-on module vs part of the core program, I don't understand why there is such resistance from those who live and breath GTD. Furthermore, just because there is an option to set an alarm doesn't mean you have to set any. In the task entry field, we're talking about adding in ONE small area by the due date that would set reminders or set as events with reminders. How is one line in the inspector palette going to clog up anything?

I think Omni is sitting on a gold mine if they get this right. And if they are afraid of ticking off true GTD's, add in the functions and wrap it up under another Omni Software name. This way GTDs are happy, and they fill a hole in the task management software marketplace at the same time.