View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV
Isn't a project without any next actions, that is either waiting for development, or currently being brainstorms, what the On Hold flag is for? I have a lot of projects like this too, and I just set them to On Hold and then adjust the filter settings to only show active projects. Once a week I go through all holding projects to keep my mind fresh of what is sitting there.
I actually tried using the "on hold" option to accomplish this prior to submitting the feature request but it didn't work for me at all for a couple of reasons.

In my world, "on hold" projects usually have actions associated with them; imagine a project with tons of sub-projects and actions which you're plugging away at, and then for some reason, you or your company puts a freeze on it. You want the whole project to go away until you're ready to bring it back to active.

On the other hand, i have several "active" projects that don't have actions right now but they most likely will by the end of the day, or the next day, which more than makes them active. I just would prefer to not see them in my list if they don't currently have a next or available action.

Also, "on hold" projects are basically dead to me until my weekend weekly review when i review whether or not it's time to make them "active" and get them going again, or rather leave them be for another week. While I don't consider myself a GTD black belt, this was how I interpreted "on hold" in my GTD frame of reference.

Finally, "on hold" projects (thankfully) don't show up in the project auto-complete when entering new inbox actions. This actually is a barrier for using "on hold" for those empty projects. That being said, I am in complete agreement with this behavior; if a project is "on hold", I definitely don't want to see it in the list.