View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
In my opinion, one of the best, if not the best, things about any Omni product is the support behind it.

Right now the support group seems to do well at keeping up with the work load, but there have been times in recent memory where they didn't (launch of the original iPhone OmniFocus and sync) until the group was expanded significantly. While it is true that they might get more revenue selling 50x as many copies at 1/40th of the price, I'm not convinced that it is in their interest, or ours, to have quite that many customers on board at that price point. Let's face it — there's a steep learning curve here, and a lot of those buyers are going to need help getting up it, but won't have contributed anything to the cost of providing that help.
Oh, c'mon whpalmer4, we regular users of the Board know you have a vested interest in putting forward that argument. You've probably opened your second bottle of Jacky D. at the thought of hundreds-of-thousands of moronic users like myself demanding your attention on this Board with technically illiterate requests for help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I think Omni is better off sticking with the Apple approach vs. the Dell approach. They focus on customers for whom price sensitivity is relatively low, make some decent revenue, and plow a lot of it back into support and future development.
The quote, "price competitively, go for volume" is from Steve Jobs (commenting on the App store), which, from a historical perspective, looks pretty hypocritical, along the lines of 'do as I say, not as I do'.

I have to confess, that prior to the high-volume sales of the iFamily, I wasn't completely convinced that Apple would actually survive. After all, I was around - way-back-when - to witness the demise of Apricot, Compaq, IBM, Olivetti, et al.

Admittedly, I would feel a bit more confident about my 'bet the farm' suggestion if there was a PC version of OmniFocus for the desktop!

Last edited by endoftheQ; 2010-07-14 at 12:46 PM..