View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyo View Post
Perhaps what you want is something that is mising from the OF implementation and that is rating tasks in a matrix for urgent and important. This was big before GTD took over. It seems to have disappeared from discussion. As I recall using the matrix resulted in 4 categorisations. 1970s and 80's time management books discuss it. OF's single category 'flag' does not allow any discrimination. HTH
I read those self help articles.

You ended up with

* Urgent and Important
* Urgent but not Important
* Not Urgent but Important
* Not Urgent and Not important.

It was obvious that category 1 took all your time, category 4 was largely ignored until it got promoted.

2 and 3 warred with eachother, and I found myself caught up in Sort of urgent, and not very important.

I ended up combining the two into a 1-5 rating scale. 1 meaning drop everything and start NOW.

That was when I was a computer support tech.

Now I'm a tree farmer. Whole different way of looking at things. Urgent isn't really. And importnt isn't really. But there are a lot of things that if you are going to deal with them at all, you deal with them in a particular window of the year.

As to contexts: I have a bunch of them, but some are location based, and some are time/situation based.

E.g. I've got a bunch of time contexts time: thaw time: freezeup These typically are 1-3 week windows that can 'float' back and forth by as much a month.

I have a bunch of location contexts for when I'm in town, mostly farm supply stores and machinery places.

I have a context: Rainy Day: Things that can be done on a day I don't want to work out in the wet.