View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebunkerjr View Post
My main point here is on elimination of the clunky inspector window. I've played around with Things a bit. It has both tags and no inspector windows. For the record, I prefer OF over Things. However, I prefer the Things approach to in-line editing (via expanding the window similar to how the paper clip in OF expands the window for notes). The current OF "inspector" approach is too time consuming. I leave the inspector minimized, otherwise it's it the way. However, to use it, you first have to maximize it - painful.
Maybe you should try eliminating it altogether when you aren't using it. You can send it away and bring it back with cmd-shift-I instead of using the mouse. You don't have anything obstructing part of your view, and you don't have to get the cursor back to a specific tiny spot on the screen.

I actually like the inspector approach, and think that trying to jam all of that information (an ever-growing quantity) into an editing "window" underneath the action(s) being edited would be problematic. For one thing, it would be difficult to edit items close to the bottom of the screen without losing a bunch of context off the top of the screen. And what if you have an expanded note? Does this editing "window" go before or after the note? I'm often referring to the contents of the notes when editing information in the inspector, which isn't an issue with the inspector because I can position it and the note content independently. There certainly are times when it seems like the inspector is always in the way, or not handy when I need it, but what I visualize from seeing Things and reading the suggestions on the forums doesn't lead to confidence that I wouldn't merely be trading one occasional inconvenience for another.