View Single Post
I am a bit confused. On the one hand, you mention higher-order goals. On the other, you mention someday/maybe projects. They are two different things to me, but then I am known to focus on even the subtlest shades of gray. I consider higher-order goals as the drivers behind the projects. I consider someday/maybe as a category, perhaps of a project, a task, or even ... a higher-order goal.

I have for example a companion to your Learn Acoustic Guitar ... Relearn Classical Guitar. Right now, it is a someday goal, so much so that I have no real structure to what the work will be. I also have a higher order goal ... Buy a New Car ... that recently became a reality. The process involved creation of a Folder ... New Car ... in one of my Areas of Responsibility Folders. Within the New Car Folder, I put sets of Projects as they became clear to me ... Research Car, Define Budget, Buy Car, Change Insurance, Change Tags ... IOW, this higher-order goal developed as I learned more about what I needed to finish it.

In any case, I work outside of OmniFocus to manage my "higher-order" goals. I have played around with Goalscape to do this. I am since less enamored of it ... mostly for the non-Mac compatible UI. I've since gone over to Curio, where I have been working out mind maps and Kanban type organization schemes. In the case for the Relearn Classical Guitar goal, I have this posted on my Curio Kanban in a row called "Adventures" under a column called "Big Rocks". It serves there as the placeholder until I decide to translate it to OmniFocus in some form. I should mention, I purged my OmniFocus database completely at the start of the year and want to work diligently now to keep it to a bare bones for its best use ... managing the workflow on projects. I found the accumulation of "clutter" from un-finished "higher-order" goals in OmniFocus was probably one reason I was getting overwhelmed with playing around in OmniFocus (instead of doing what was required), let alone that sync times with my iX devices were slowing down.

Hope this gives you an idea or two to explore.

--
JJW