View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkcode
If I create a task and it's at the end of a Project, and give it today for a task and no other tasks in project have a due date, I would think that switching to the context view should then force that task to top.

Even if I try and sort by that it doesn't show up. The project is set up to do one task at time. I think it should show what's due, don't you?
Hm. If I take a sequential project that has no due dates, add a due date to the last action in the project, switch to Context view, and then sort by Due in the View bar, the action I just gave a due date to pops to the top. It doesn't if I keep the default sort by Project--which makes sense, because that sort keeps the order that tasks are entered in Project view. I don't want something forced to the top just because a month ago I happened to give it a due date of today; my priorities might have changed.

I find it more effective to group by due date if I need to concentrate on what is going to smack me in the face if I don't get it done. It took me a while to get used to different ways of grouping tasks or projects, but now that I am, I'm finding it quite helpful.

Addendum: after posting, I noticed that you had specified that the project was set up to do one task at a time. In that case, the behavior you describe is expected. Imagine this sequential project:

Road Trip
  • Get car fixed
  • Buy gas
  • Hit the road, due 7/28/07

Until I get the car fixed and gassed up, it don't matter what the due date is for hitting the road.

For a sequential project, you should give a due date to the whole project, not the last item.

Last edited by brianogilvie; 2007-07-28 at 12:40 PM..