View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Thanks. I don't think OF needs to build another nagging feature. Just pass the alarm setting back to iCal, and let iCal trigger the alarm. So, I could set an item in OF to trigger an alarm, but iCal does the triggering. Since iCal alarm typically runs in the background, I think this is a better and/or more elegant solution.
This is really all that I think that OF would need to provide for me to be satisfied with it.

The issue for me is all of the things that occasionally need to be done when I actually AM on the go.... With iGTD and other solutions, I would sync my @Errands and @Calls contexts to my phone, and some of these would have reminders flagged on them so as not to allow me to forget about them while I was otherwise occupied. Things like "Pick up milk on the way home" for instance, triggered to fire off an alarm on my phone around the time that I expect to be heading home.

These are things that don't necessarily fit into the GTD Hard Landscape, IMHO, and the last thing I really want is a calendar that is cluttered with trivial events such as these... My calendar is for things that occur at more specific times (ie, meetings), and consume specific amounts of time.

Reminders when I'm in front of my computer are generally less relevant, although I could see the use for these in some cases.

The iCal solution at this point works the best for me, but since OF doesn't actually support setting of alarms within the OF application itself, I end up having to go through a secondary review process of the iCal items following a sync to do something that should have been easily done during my main daily/weekly review process.

On the other hand, my reviews themselves have always been iCal appointments, even when I was using a more paper-based system. In this case I want to actually block out that section of time for my weekly review. I normally expect it to take a half-hour, so I schedule it as such, occasionally moving it around when necessary... By having it in my calendar, however, I ensure that the appropriate amount of time is allocated to actually make it happen. Further, my colleagues (who have limited access to my calendar), see a block of occupied time and do not expect me to be available.