View Single Post
This browser has some good points, aside from the tabs rigidity, but it is astonishing how poor the ad-blocking is. Seems like people have been saying this for years and no progress.

In my prefs I have:

/ads\..*.net/
/ads\..*\.com
/.*\.doubleclick\.net
some\.ad\.com
googlesyndication.com
/ad[^dm]

The defaults plus a couple of suggestions I saw on here.

and also in Terminal I did this:

defaults write -app OmniWeb ABIsEnabled -int 1
defaults write -app OmniWeb ABSubscriptions -array -string en
defaults write -app OmniWeb OWAddressFilteringEnabled -int 1

To plug it into Safari Ad Block.

That's already going way further what an ordinary user would be bothered to do for basic ad blocking that other browsers do without the user doing anything whatsoever once their blocker is installed.

And yet all of the above can't even get rid of google ads consistently. I thought maybe the ads are still there due to caching but no.

I struggle to see how even the most fervent fanboy of this browser can defend such daftness, excluding the sort that might say "well you know you could just recompile OmniWeb.." or consider the difficulty with which sufficient ad blocking is to be achieved through OmniWeb as some sort of geek elitist rite of passage (and I say that as a borderline one myself).

Ah that feels better now I've said it. Any suggestions to simply stop google / youtube ads - the most basic ad blocking task that there can be - in OW most welcome.