View Single Post
Welcome to the community.

In OF, an action is not considered available to work on until after its start date. The meaning of start date is the first possible date (and time) that you could work on the project. For example, my Pay Income Taxes project has a start date of Feb. 1, since I can't expect to have forms from my employer and bank until then.

The due date is the date the item must be completed by. I have plenty of projects due in early September (for the start of the school year) that I am actively working on now. They wouldn't get done if I didn't start them until the due date arrived.

Regarding your specific request, I don't think that perspective in particular is possible. You're confounding start and due dates (in OF's parlance anyway). Many of us use a "tickler perspective" (search the forums) to review tasks that are starting soon, and an "urgent perspective" to douse any fires that are about to come due.

Besides start and due dates, the other key thing to grok is the distinction between Next Actions and Available Actions. A Next Action is the first unblocked action in a project, or any action in a Single Action List. An Available Action is the first unblocked action in a sequential project, or any unblocked action in a parallel project. (Sorry, that's a bit dense, I know, but it makes sense if you experiment a bit.)

OF is extremely powerful, but has a bit of a learning curve. You can generally make it do what you want it do, but you do have to respect its definitions of start date, due date, next action, and available actions. Check out the posted videos, and ask questions on the forums. They're a great resource.

Curt