View Single Post
Kilted Green, thanks for the heads up. I too will study this new doc. I'd best do so before too much further comment on this thread. But there are some points that seem clear.

I do want to second your point that WilsonNg's comment's about going back to the source, while helpful a supplement, nonetheless beg the question of how to implement GTD in OF.

I sense, the fact that it has taken them these many years to issue something, belies just how varied the interpretations are of how to implement GTD. OG, for good business reasons, has not wanted to get itself into a partisan debate about best practices.

The obvious solution is, let the customers lead the discussion and decide for themselves.

Only just let it be a structured and systematic discussion, as can be developed in a moderated Wiki, rather than the stew of facts, opinions and confusing idea fragments that rest side-by-side within the OF forum in a veritable state-of-nature, a state that puts the GTD ideal of clear organization to shame.

Doubtless others will disagree. I suspect they are those people for whom "all questions are already answered" or "self-evident". If I had a nickel for every posting on the OF forum that suggests that the answer lies in going back to the Allen Bible, I'd be rich. [I]God bless them for their certainty.

Would that it were so easy for me. Currently, I am trying to jail-break about twelve hundred (1,200) action items in OF. I've found it easy to get things into OF.

My challenge has become how to work with them, to actually accomplish the most important things. It's very rough going. {I'm sure someone reading this is already poised to comment, and to say that I've got it all wrong; how could I have possibly done such a thing, "haven't you read David Allen"}

There is nothing wrong with the apostolic tradition. I don't wish to argue as to whether, how and to what degree it is important to be grounded in DA's ideas and concepts about GTD. It simply begs the question of what to do. Even the most casual and superficial perusal of the web will demonstrate that there are more interpretations of just how to implement GTD than there are peaches in Georgia.

I don't know of any other software products where some members of the user community appear to require new users to adhere to a creed, in order for those new users to be allowed to express an opinion or pose a question without risking criticism.

Regarding moderation of a wiki, there several important points.

First a moderator need not be an arbiter. They need not take positions.

Second, they can merely point out where divergent viewpoints expressed by users exist.

Third, they can encourage users to clarify and elaborate user-documented ideas, practices, routines, tricks, shortcuts, workarounds, habits, frustrations, preferences, aspirations, etc.

Fourth, they can bring structure and order to the wellspring of knowledge and opinion (now weakly organized by topical thread in the OF Forum), so that --
A) the (hopefully) growing community of readers/users can (and here's the important part:) quickly! and efficiently! discern the varied approaches espoused in the wiki;

B) form their own opinion as the benefits, liabilities of these varied approaches to using OF for GTD; and

C) the tradeoffs among and between these approaches; and then choose a path for themselves.