View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
The iCal sync is actually not so much for putting things in iCal as it is a go-between so people can sync between OmniFocus for Mac and various PDAs that can sync with iCal.
Umm, well that's what it should and could have been, but I put in a feature request several times on exactly this subject, and never did get a reply, either here or by e-mail.

I used a Pocket PC. The Pocket PC supports task start dates, as does sync services, but iCal doesn't. Tasks on the Pocket PC are no use at all (to me at least) without start dates.

Pocket PC's sync with iCal (or rather sync services) via The Missing Sync, and, critically, The Missing Sync syncs the Pocket PC's start dates to sync services, even though iCal can't read them. Obviously they "get" the concept of sharing data.

OmniFocus doesn't (didn't?) sync start dates to sync services, so they don't get transfered to or read from the Pocket PC.

So, bottom line is, if you really do recognise that it's not iCal you're syncing to, but sync services instead, so that any number of other sync services clients can share data, you should be syncing EVERY piece of data that sync services can support, regardless of whether or not iCal can read it. The point is that you don't know what the "other" client supports, so should make all data available just in case.

If you'd done that, I'd have bought OmniFocus months ago, but instead bought Daylite because despite being crap, it does at least sync everything (once you get past all its bugs anyway).

Mark