View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarsh View Post
Whpalmer4 - these are also good suggestions. I will certainly look at the two window option although it feels simpler to be able to toggle status' by time to minimise the sense of workaround.
Oh, the two window suggestion was meant to illustrate a way in which my proposal was more flexible, not that you would necessarily want to always use it that way. I think it is important to have the ability to easily view your data in a different "setting" than the one you are currently in, which an automatic time-based facility may not provide. For example, you've got a bunch of contexts set to only be active during normal work hours, but it's Sunday night and you want to look at what is on tap for the upcoming work week, or just doing a standard review outside of your normal work time. With my approach, you just focus on the work folder. With the time-based approach, either you need some way to disable it, or fool around with changing the time. Or what if you want to look at both, because you're on the cusp, wondering whether you'll advance toward your goals more by spending the next hour working on work or personal items? This last scenario what what I had in mind when I mentioned the multiple windows.

Focusing on folders is not a workaround, though — that's a core OmniFocus feature.

The other obvious win to my suggestion is that you can start using it today. Time-based contexts probably aren't very close to the top of the most-requested feature list, so unless the idea has a champion at Omni, it may be a long wait.

I would also like to see time-based contexts; I'd love to have my general calls context wink in and out so it appears for normal business hours only. That's the one context that cuts orthogonally to the projects for me — whether it is a work project or a personal project, that time boundary is still there. On the other hand, my time is my own, and I can largely decide that I want to do work or do play as I wish, so there the folder approach is superior. Using both, I get the flexibility to work on whatever I want, and the tasks that can only be done during certain parts of the day can be hidden (though once again the issues about getting a good view at other times rear their heads).