View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I understand and respect your desire for multiple context per action, but several thousand of us have been getting along fine without the feature. Based on that, I think you're overstating the importance of the feature to the average user.
The fact that a lot of users have been getting along fine without the feature is significant, but I don't think number of users is a criteria that would necessarily rule out a new or change in feature. A proposed change should stand on its own merits.

While the Mac had a usability, GUI, and other advantages for almost a decade before Windows came out, all of my DOS-based computer friends emphasized that they were getting along fine without a mouse or cut / copy / paste. "Why would you want to use a mouse?". The fact that they considered themselves getting along fine didn't mean that the operating system they were using was the best fit for their job. They just needed an open mind.

(and some extra $$$ because Apple went for short-term profits, not market share but I digress ...)

Whether to allow multiple contexts could be a preference setting. Or, it could just be by choice -- if someone chooses to use them by selecting more than one context.

My main point is that "number of users getting along fine" doesn't mean that there aren't valid and useful improvements that can be made to a product.