View Single Post
greetings,

your post caught my eye because i'm new to both GTD and omnifocus and starting to implement it piecemeal... like you say, it is challenging to learn both the techniques and the software at the same time... like your friend, i have too many plates spinning already, and it has been extremely hard to make the time to get this started...

for me, i find that i have to do larger activities incrementally... so i'm not starting by putting all of my life or all of my work in OF, but instead just a set of things that i want to start with... this is not only an issue of the time needed to get the info into the software, but also that when there is a lot more data in the software, and i'm reorganizing to figure out how to make it work for me, then a large data set makes it very cumbersome experiment. and the time penalty for a failed experiment at trial and error can make this activity prohibitive...

besides all of that, i find that when i get buried, which happens on regular basis for long periods of time, then i have to work incrementally to get myself out... i dig myself out but spending a little time on it every day or every couple days and can make visible progress over a longer period of time... i have rarely succeeded when trying to work in binge mode to get myself out of the hole...

when something become unwieldy, then i'm forced to abandon it in order to keep the other plates spinning... breaking down these kinds of activities in to manageable increments is the only way i can successfully accomplish it...

so i'm approaching it incrementally because it's the only practical way for me to learn it and also the only practical way i can implement, even if i already knew how to do it...

i can't speak for anyone else, but it is how things work for me...

your friend is lucky to have someone like you who is interested and willing to offer help... good luck to you both...