View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
That scenario presumes you've defined ALL the actions required to complete your project. There was a long discussion a couple months ago on the forums in which several of us pointed out that we just don't plan that way. I might finish all the tasks I have specified for a project, but that could simply mean that in my next weekly review, I have to come up with at least one new next action for the project. If the project were automatically marked complete, I might be in deep trouble. For the GTD planning method, autocompletion is a very bad idea.
I agree... to a point. I have read GTD and I try to adhere to its methods. But if projects can't be fully planned then why have repeating projects?????? Do you want to repeat projects that aren't complete? I can't think of such a scenario.

Please note that I've asked for the OPTION to set the project to auto-complete after the last action is completed. So those who plan during the project progression can leave the option off and those of us who actually have repeating projects can have them repeat for us. As it is I am not able to use OF for about 25% of my job which is made up of repeating projects. That includes Payroll (weekly, monthly, quarterly, annual), Accounts Payable (monthly), Taxes (3-4 different business tax forms annually), Maintenance (various intervals for work and home), ETC!!!!!

It is much harder for me to work around these stupid repeating projects that don't repeat than it would be for those who plan during the project to always keep a "Determin Next [project name] Action" action at the end of your project. At least you would have a reminder that you need to do some planning. When I check off my last action in my "repeating" project it just disappears but doesn't repeat. I have to go look for it EVERY WEEK/MONTH/QUARTER, ETC.

I have to repeat. Think through the idea of Repeating Projects and how they are used compared to Repeating Actions. They are very user un-friendly.