Thread: Task priorities
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacartwright
Will OmniFocus allow me to manage task priorities? kGTD sort of has them (optionally). I do like being able to create my own list of priority labels. But my one beef with kGTD is that it doesn’t sort next actions by priority within a context....

What thoughts do other folks on the forum have about handling priorities?

— Tim
My thought is that it is mission critical to have tasks sorted by priorities inside a context. I would be surprised if OmniFocus didn't do this.

Let me add something about prioritization that I've sent to some Omni folks privately, just in case it adds something of value.

My only "need" not discussed in any of the OmniFocus threads is having OmniFocus implement, in some form, a feature of a (cludgy) product that I hate to love (called Life Balance). It isn't GTD, so it isn't quite on task to bring it up. However, one feature in Life Balance is nice and doesn't necessarily conflict with GTD. It directly relates to PRIORITIZATION.

Specifically, I find it really useful to have my GTD system warn me gently that I'm losing track of some personal priorities (a pre-defined life balance) due to external urgencies/priorities (due dates vs. do dates vs. "what's important in life and the big picture before I die").

I.E. (INSIDE LIFE BALANCE) I have set travel/exploring as an important "project" of value to which I want to dedicate up to 25% of my time. Life Balance lets you pie graph the importance of your overarching "values" as "overarching projects." Everything else is a sub-project of the parent "project/personal value."

When one overarching "project (earning a living)" is getting all your GTD time at the expense of "project (travel/exploring)" Life Balance suggests an order of "next actionables" that brings your attention back to some personal values you've established.

Let me say that there a lot of dedicated Life Balance folks who really wish for a better product (without hope, it seems). It's a really valuable market niche (I would think) for the software to grab without losing track of the GTD purpose.

Do you see any possible strategy inside of current plans for OmniFocus that might allow me to have the software "suggest" a priority based on personal values as Life Balance does while staying inside the project/context paradigm?

To me this makes a lot of sense, even though it is probably a hybrid approach and not pure GTD. Does it make sense to make this a separate thread, i.e. Life Balance strategy within GTD?