View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tah View Post
No I state that, because products reflect their developers. I used to do R&D, and task lists were sufficient. Now I do consulting. Task lists that can't integrate with time scheduling aren't very useful. I hate it when people who peg everybody into their circumstance, rather than seeing the broader need.
Do you see yourself as a GTD practitioner, or something else?

Perhaps you need a different tool, built to suit your needs. The OmniFocus developers seem to have a pretty clear vision of what they want to provide, and it doesn't appear to include what you are asking. You did read the recent thread where they gave their reasoning, right?

Quote:
I think I gave a pretty clear explanation for mapping to a gantt chart. Calender events are simpler. This isn't that difficult. If its due on a date, put an event on the calender on that day. If it has a duration put it on the calender for that duration, if it doesn't use a default duration (15 min).
Again, this doesn't adequately address Greg's question. I'll repeat it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I've also seen many people request the feature to sync action items to a calendar, but I've yet to see anyone describe just how it would/could work. If I have an action that I estimate will take 3 hours to complete, I can start it today at 8:00 and it is due no later than Friday at 5:00, how would that look on my calendar? With an alarm at 4:45 on Friday that it is due in 15 minutes and I haven't started it yet? At 2:00 on Friday (3 hours in advance) when I may not have the context available to work on it? Or will my calendar be blocked out from 8 today until 5 on Friday?
Quote:

The important thing is that you can bring up a calender, and see what MUST be done today, this week, etc.
Bring up a context mode view, grouped by due, sorted by due, remaining actions. There's your list.

Neither this approach nor a calendar-based approach will be completely accurate with items that repeat within the scope of the view, however, as the future events don't appear in the database until the current one is completed.