View Single Post
I just sent this to the support ninjas, and then stumbled accross this thread. I thought I might post it here for reference. I am currently waiting for the iPhone version to synchronise, and it is about 2/3rds of the way through after 17 minutes. But I think it will just crash again, like it has been doing for a while, and not actually sync. :mad:

Quote:
Dear OmniFocus Team,

I have purchased both OmniFocus and OmniFocus for iPhone. Unfortunately, whilst I am very impressed with the general interface and layout of the iPhone version, it is reduced to completely unusable by two letdowns: Slow launching and slow syncing. I have been careful to ensure that old items are archived, and that all registered computers have synced recently, however launch still takes over a minute, and sync takes at least 10-15 minutes during which it normally gets interrupted by having to use some other feature of the phone or the phone sleeping, that is if it doesn't just crash and return to the homescreen after a while. I mean, at a high estimate the amount of data that's changed can't be more that a few KB - how on earth does it take so long to synchronise? A checkbox is one bit for heaven's sake! Are there any plans to improve the synchronisation method on the iPhone version?

If there are solid technical reasons that these improvements cannot be made, may I suggest an app that will actually be usable on the iPhone "OmniFocus Lite" - a clone of the quick entry panel on the OSX version. The ideal use of the iPhone version would be to quickly jot down tasks whilst on the go, which due to the aforementioned problems is just ridiculously impractical. I need to be able to open the OmniFocus app, enter my task quickly, and then close down and move on to making a call or whatever, and be sure that the entry has really gone to my inbox and isn't just languishing on the iPhone waiting for the next sync. Currently, I have become hesitant to even bother using the iPhone version, because due to the syncing problems tasks just end up forgotten and not where I need them to be. Again, I'd like to reiterate that I really do like the user interface on the iPhone version, if only it worked! Obviously, a total of at least eleven minutes to be sure that a task is in my OmniFocus inbox everywhere is kind of a joke, I might as well just email it to myself!

I sincerely hope that these problems can be resolved, as I have been looking forward to the dream combination of iPhone OmniFocus and OS X OmniFocus ever since the iPhone came out, and it is such a waste considering what you have already is so well done except for these small hiccups.

Very Best Regards,
Alex Speller