View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by santra View Post
The other question heavily on my mind is: Does the new server announcement apply to OO? Can we sync our OOs on OG's server to keep OOs on our Macs in sync with copies on our iPads?
Not automatically, no, not yet. I know, I know, Dropbox, yadda yadda, this is useless... I'm happy I've been able to use and edit my OO outlines on my iPad for the last 11 months, which far outweighs some inconvenience in getting them there. My iPad was more productive this past year than the year before, thanks to that. It'll be better still when there's less friction.
Quote:
OO is a dog on iPad 1.
I haven't really encountered this, though I wouldn't be surprised if with a bigger, more complicated document differences can be seen. I know that I have a document with 14,830 rows that will cause OO to crash because it runs out of memory on the iPad 1, though not on the iPad 2.
Quote:
And what is up with the templates? WE DON'T NEED TEMPLATES. This is an ORGANIZER. Does the seminal work "Getting Things Done" by David Allen waste template on templates? NO! He's too busy teaching people how to be more efficient.
Well, DA is talking about paper solutions, primarily, and I think his intended audience isn't composed of people with lots of cookie cutter projects. Given his emphasis on getting things out of your mind and into a trusted system, however, I bet he would encourage the use of templates if they helped the practitioner get to the promised land.

But that's a bit beside the point, because we are talking about OmniOutliner here, not OmniFocus. Looking at the sample documents (templates, as you call them) I see the following:
  • Books
  • Level Styles
  • Notetaking
  • Solarized (Dark and Light)
  • Spending
  • Welcome

They are intended as examples of how one might use the program. You aren't forced to use any of them, and you can delete them if they offend the eye.

Quote:
OO is potentially REALLY great. Why OG is making so many mistakes with it in the last year, I do not understand. The only thing I can think of is that it's a political issue. Something like the lead developer being "old school" and completely oblivious of current tech trends.
Is it possible, if ever so unlikely, that with hundreds of thousands of copies of OmniOutliner for Mac in the field, that maybe they do have some inkling of what large numbers of customers might want? No?

Quote:

And if anyone wants to see the future of incredible UI, download the to-do app Clear for your iPhone. It's only 99 cents, and it doesn't do much (yet), but the UI is about 18 months ahead of its time (a significant period in the current climate of refresh rate time lengths).
$1.99 as of this writing. The first three reviews are titled:
  • Beautiful, innovative design, but not very useful
  • Illogical and frustrating
  • Sorry it's just not worth it

I guess it is 50 times cheaper than an iOS developer membership, which would allow me to build my own beautiful but non-functional UI widgets and play with them :)

I'm willing to trade off some complexity and functionality for an intuitive UI (I'm a long-time Mac and iOS user, after all) but I also like to get things done occasionally, so there has to be some substance behind the pretty face.

I have no doubt that Omni has a long list of improvements they'd like to add, many of which will cause some of us to wonder why we didn't think to ask for them sooner while simultaneously eliciting thoughts of "meh." from others. I also have little doubt that they are pursuing the course that they honestly think will be best overall, given the resources at their disposal, and I expect that course will diverge at times from what I want most, what you want most, or the wishes of anyone else who cares enough to have an opinion.