View Single Post
Reading through this thread makes my head hurt. I empathize all around. No scheduler I've seen satisfies everyone in the area under discussion.

Regardless of leveling behavior, I wonder if the following change would meet with everyone's approval and not be too difficult to make: Include the completed portions of tasks in the calculation of resource allocation. I am looking now at a construction schedule. I work continually to keep everyone busy. Every time I (a) mark a task partially or fully complete, I (b) see gaps open in the allocations of affected resources. Because I must do (a) in task view and (b) in resource view, (b) often comes as a surprise. I waste time reassuring myself that the gaps are not real.

If this happened only in the past, I could more easily ignore it. Because constructions tasks frequently get stuck (lack of proper fasteners, etc.), however, tasks are often performed out of order, so that future allocations also can show gaps owing to tasks completed ahead of schedule.

This is a nuisance. Can OmniPlan be changed to compute and show allocations for both incomplete and complete tasks without messing up something else?

[EDIT:] Counterargument: Suppose I paste an 80%-complete task from another plan into my current plan. I want to allocate resources only to the unfinished 20%. I don't want the completed portion to generate warnings of over-allocation. My solution to that issue would be to redefine the task to include only the 20%.

Last edited by tburton; 2008-10-14 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: add a counterargument to my argument