View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregO View Post
I would agree with SpiralOcean, having the parent checked off automatically might be OK if you've input every possible task for that parent before hand, but that's not the way most people work.
Have you asked more than the half of all OmniFocus users how they use action groups? No? Then please don't tell me how most people work, because you just don't know it (any more than I do). The fact that you work a certain way doesn't mean that most people are working the same way. (Thankfully. ;))

Besides: If most of the OS X users would argue that '5 + 5' should return '11' in OS X's calculator (because it better fits the way they work), should Apple then change the way OS X's calculator works?

Let me give you an example: Uma Thurman as The Bride in Kill Bill creates the following (sequential) project:
(1) kill Bill's inferiors
- (1.1) kill Vernita Green
- (1.2) kill O-Ren Ishii
- (1.3) kill Elle Driver
- (1.4) kill Budd

(2) kill Bill
(1) is an action group that contains four child actions, (1.1) - (1.4). As soon as all child actions of (1) have been executed, (1) itself has been executed. (And The Bride can go on and execute (2).) (If you don't agree on this, google for '"category mistake"'.)

But what, you now ask, if there was another inferior of Bill (let's call him 'Ben') that The Bride didn't know of? Well, until she recognizes that Ben is another inferior of Bill, she still thinks that she killed all of Bill's inferiors, and she would therefore also check (1) as 'done' manually (if she had to, because her OmniFocus wouldn't check it off automatically).

Last edited by minato2; 2008-11-23 at 04:40 AM..