View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
There is a common misperception that the styling of note content is somehow petty or superficial, resulting in a waste of time that is better spent doing your tasks. But I contend that in many cases, improving the organization and legibility of your notes will greatly increase your productivity, especially if you adopt a common set of sensible styles used through your content.
I don't mean to suggest in any way that styling of notes is a superficial feature; I think the structured components in particular are much more useful than being able to customize the background color of my actions, and I don't begrudge them the effort spent developing that in the slightest, even if the only time I use it is experimentation to answer forum questions. The outline styling support is clearly a feature that can only be provided by Omni, and there's nothing one could do without their support.

Quote:
I know things are rarely free in the software development world, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, this would be a piece of cake addition. And if that's the case, then the cost-to-benefit ratio swings way in our favor, even if you're only going to use the formatting ruler to make your notes look pretty. ;-)

-Dennis
And as a software developer myself, I know the things that end up being the most trouble (at least on a trouble per amount of time budgeted for implementation and support) usually are the things that seem like they ought to be just a small matter of programming :-)

Have you ever used TeX? You can get things pretty much the way you want them without too much trouble, and see just how perfect they could look with "just a little more effort" which ends up driving you mad when the nearness of perfection lures you to your misfortune with its Siren-like call...avert your gaze from your notes and step away from the keyboard before the madness takes you! :-)

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy if they can give you what you request with some minor tweaking. I wouldn't mind seeing some cool-looking note examples for inspiration, either! I'd never noticed the table support in TextEdit prior to your post...now I'm going to be looking for excuses to make a few tables in the next week or so, thanks buddy :-)