View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
I happen to find 'flag inheritance' a good and sensical feature in 1.8, much as I am sorry to hear that it breaks your workflow.

I would actually take this a step further and suggest that 'inheritance' apply not only to flags, but also to due dates. It is risky to have a project with a specific due date, and its own actions free-floating without any deadline. It could indeed be a good idea have the due date of the project applied by a default to all children actions. The user may later choose to set an earlier due date for one or more of the children (but not a later one, obviously, which would be a contradiction—and I realize therefore that such a feature would require some new underlying logic).
While I would welcome that functionality, I think, I don't really see it as inheritance, but rather a constraint. If you have a (sequential) project like:

Project due Friday
Action 1 due Tuesday
Action 2 no due date
Action 3 due Thursday
Action 4 no due date

Action 4 inherits the Friday due date. Action 2 is logically constrained to have a Thursday due date, but it isn't inheriting it from the project — you would want it to have that due date even if the project didn't have a due date. Forcing Action 2 to have Action 3's due date is the only part of the puzzle that isn't already implemented. I agree that one can get potentially confusing context mode views of Action 3 right now, especially when grouping and/or sorting by due date.