View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yucca View Post
Visualizing a project time line is a feature that is offered by all project management applications, and I would suggest that you look to these sorts of applications for immediate relief...

Likewise, if you can't live without context tagging, you should checkout Things . . . apologies in advance if I've got the apps name wrong.
Thanks, yucca. You’re right, these are the alternatives, but at the risk of repeating what’s already been said ad infinitum in this and other threads, this is just the problem. Those of us asking for a timeline are always recommended to go to OmniPlan or similar. Our point is that these are total overkill for what we need, which is the simple ability to see tasks and dates set out graphically in a basic timeline to see at a glance how they all jive together and thus organize time better (ie get things done). We don’t need the bells and whistles of a full-scale, multi-person project planner (never mind the far bigger bucks for the myriad other features we would never use). This feature would be a natural addition to the app, fully in keeping with its lean style and philosophy, and far from bloat.

As for Things, well, yes, I’ve looked at that and personally find it cluttered and plain awkward compared with the smoothness and clarity of OF. Actually, you can already tag in OF, kind of, by using the notes feature. For tagging on a grand scale, Things may be the way to go, but what I and others have been asking for is not that but the simple ability to assign a task to more than one context. This would help organization and getting things done greatly in many circumstances, but it offends the most rigid interpretation of GTD (not David Allen’s own, it should be said) which insists that all tasks must be given one context and one context alone. The fact that it would be perfectly possible for those holding this view to continue doing this cuts no ice, as doctrine insists that we must all tow the line for our own good. Unfortunately, despite the brilliance and vision that generally characterizes the Omni folks, this appears to be orthodoxy among them too, so for now at least we are stuck.