View Single Post
Add the action in the usual way. At the time you do so, look at the last digit of the clock, and enter "+digitd" as the start date. As I write this, my clock reads 8:27, so I would enter "+7d" as the start date. If you want a bigger range, double the digit first.

That's a somewhat literal approach to implementing the notion. If you have a lot of material to read, however, you could just file all the reading that you want to do "randomly" in a single action list, and have a repeating action which tells you to go read a document from the "pile". You can adjust the frequency at which that action repeats if the pile seems to be getting overly large (or some of the items take a disproportionate amount of time to read). If you were willing to file documents to be read into a random folder in your tickler structure, it appears that you don't care overly much about the order in which they get read, but if it does arise that reading a certain document is more important, you can just move it to the top of the list.

If you drag the PDF file to the notes field of an action (or project, for that matter), OmniFocus turns the cursor into a curved arrow to indicate that you are creating a link. That's generally what you want, rather than embedding the document in your database. If you're syncing OmniFocus, and you expect to carry the document along in the sync process, so it is available anywhere that you open OmniFocus, you need to either embed the document (hold down the option key while dragging and dropping, and the cursor will turn to a white + in a green circle), or use a link that will be valid on your other clients. For most people, it's probably best not to try, as it is easy to overburden your database if you embed too many documents, and there are headaches if you also need to be able to edit them.