View Single Post
Hello everybody,

Great discussion here. What I get from the discussion so far is that:
1) Options exist for syncing of basic task management (omnifocus/dejumble);
2) There is an option to create a small iPhone-only outliner (carbonfin)
3) There are workarounds to export "view only" versions of more refined omnioutliners documents (eg. export to pdf and email it to yourself).

Here is where I think a OO version for iPhone would greatly add to this picture.

I use OO as an "idea organizer" and note-taker. My main file is a large database of medical notes which I build from the computer and classify into different topics. I make heavy use of the note feature in OO, where I store most of the content. I also include several aliases from omnigraffle documents (to add graphs and tables) and pdf documents (for extracts of medical articles).

I currently use ShadowPlan to have a (palmOS) pocket version of the outline (without the graphs, pictures, and tables) when I am in the hospital/clinic. The ShadowPlan sync feature is limited as it erases all formating and aliases links in the desktop file if I sync back from the palm to the desktop, so that I use only "one-way syncing" (from desktop to palm) and input all new information from my computer. Although I could live with a read-only version of the file, the pdf or HTML export are not an option in my case because this would create a huge file that woud be a nightmare to search. My use of OO is similar to UC_student who mentions using this for taking notes in class and have those notes available on the fly (so I think this could represent a sizeable market).

Having an iPhone version of OO would be a major bonus and a push to move toward the iPhone. In my case, this would need to include: 1) easy search/scroll feature to find a specific note within a large outline; 2) preserve the integrity of the desktop database during sycing (even if all the features of OO are not available in the iPhone version, such as the ability to preview omnigraffle documents); 3) minimal input cababilities from the iPhone to the mac document; 4) being able to see embedded graphs/pictures would be really amazing but I could live without that (as long as they don't diseapear from my OO file when I sync back).

Thanks a lot and good luck!

Last edited by joyeuxluron; 2008-10-27 at 09:09 AM..